Friday, October 1, 2010

Soup Weather is Here and All I Want is Mom's Tuscan Bean Soup

www.blogs.targetx.com
The title says it. Fall has arrived; leaf colors are turning warmer, and so are our preferences.

During the last two days of downpours and cloudiness that has apparently descended upon the whole east coast, all I've been craving is a bowl of the Tuscan Bean Soup my mom always makes this time of year.

I'm going camping this weekend, but I'm certainly planning to get the ingredients to make it next week. Here's the recipe, it does any heart good this time of year. (Most of the credit is due to Mollie Katzen for her Tuscan Bean Soup recipe in Still Life with Menu.)

My mom has also added a ham bone to this recipe to hearty-it-up. If there is a Honeybaked Ham in your area, or a similar deli, you can purchase (for almost nothing) the ham bones from which the ham has been carved. Often, there is some ham left which does wonders for flavoring soups.

Tuscan Bean Soup
1. In a large soup pot, combine and saute the following:

  • 2 medium sized cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 medium sized carrots, sliced
  • 1/2 lb. fresh green beans, cut in 1-inch lengths
  • 6-8 scallions, minced (white part only)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • lots of ground black pepper
  • 2-3 tablespoons of dried basil
For the first five minutes, cook on medium heat, then turn down to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Next, add:
  • 1 1/2 cups dried white beans (or a can of cannellini beans)
  • 2 1/2 cups water or stock (from soaking beans)
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Then, add
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

and cook for 10 more minutes.

Serve it hot, garnished with parmesan and parsley.

Alright, so I want this dish even more now that I've written this. Invite me over if you're making it before I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment