Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Foster's Seven Pepper Jelly

One of my favorite condiment secrets is Seven Pepper Jelly from Foster's Market in my hometown Durham, North Carolina.

It is both sweet and slightly spicy, and completely palatable for the mild-tastebudded among us. There is really no limit to its applications but I have found it to be especially excellent with cheeses and breads. You can get creative with an appetizer plate, on toast for breakfast, or as another flavor for your favorite sandwich. This just coming to mind, it could even make an excellent meat glaze.

This jelly makes a perfect holiday, housewarming, or really any occasion gift for friends and family who like a little spice or are adventurous eaters. For example, I brought a jar with me to Cape Cod to visit my boyfriend and his family and it was being rationed by the end of the week to allow everyone to get their last little bit.

Before you elect to give it away, get some for yourself to experiment with. It is a pantry standard at home in Durham and I made sure to bring some with me to college. It's a fun thing to have on hand to add spontaneity and flavor to any dish, and it's great for entertaining guests because it's unusual yet delicious. I've found many times people who taste it at a dinner party, etc. will leave resolving to buy a jar themselves.

That is, of course, easier to do in Durham where we can go to Foster's but you can order it online at Foster's Market. It retails for $6.50 and is well worth it.

Sara Foster, founder of Foster's Market, trained with Martha Stewart and has gone on to do great culinary things. Her Foster's Market cookbook is also one of my favorites because her recipes have fantastic yet unpredictable combinations of ingredients. No, she's not paying me to say this, I really am a true fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment